Key West Real Estate Listings plus Information
Key West is a unique place to visit or live. If fishing, diving, and sailing are for you the waters are unbelievably clear, glistening and clean. If on the other hand history, museums, art, and architecture are your choice, Key West is filled with rich history, beautiful old buildings and historic homes such as Ernest Hemingway and John J. Audubon's, Harry S. Truman's Little White House or Milton Curry s Mansion built in 1905. Tours by foot, bicycle or open-air "conch trains and trolleys" offer excellent monologues on the history, culture, and treasures of this old city incorporated in 1828.
The old town offers shops and art galleries from one end of the spectrum to the other. The exceptional diversity in restaurants reflect the numerous countries of origins of the residents. Bars and nightclubs from the local Hog's Breath Saloon and Sloppy Joe's to Hard Rock Cafe. Whatever your lifestyle Key West has something of interest for you.
A Yankee outpost during the Civil War, Key West has been host to the military since the Spanish American War. Pirating, salvaging, fishing, canneries, sponging, cigar making have all been major occupations in Key West. Today you can still see cigar making, a perfumery, fabric printing, jewelry making, sandal shops and internationally known, Mel Fishers Treasure Salvors Museum.
Approximately 28,000 calls Key West home and another 6,500 spend their winter here. Many thousands visit annually.
- Climate: summer 87 degrees, winter 75, no frost
- Excellent medical facilities: Lower Keys Health Systems and Mount Sinai Center
- International Airport
- Cruise Port
- Major hotels, timeshares, guesthouses, and vacation rentals
- Ft. Zachary State Park and beach
- City and County Beaches
- Sailing, Parasailing, Wind Surfing, Snorkeling, Scuba Diving
- Tennis Courts
- 18 hole Golf Course
- National and local Stores, nightclubs, restaurants, and bars
- Public and private schools - elementary through college/Master Degree
- Local TV, radio, daily newspaper, library
- Excellent theater, art galleries, museums
- Monroe County Seat
- Tennessee Williams Theatre